Tuesday 23 July 2013

Day to Remember


Malembe! That means hello in the language Luganda.
Not a lot happened today but the things that did were awesome. I woke up this morning and soon found out the fundraiser for the health clinic reached its goal of 7,000 dollars. That is huge!! We honestly didn’t know if the health clinic was going to survive and this ensures that it will. It’s amazing how such little money here goes so far! You can barely walk into an emergency room in America for that.
After that we went back to the internet cafĂ© we visited yesterday, this time they had both internet and food. We did some more research on HIV/AIDS and created an outline for our class. Personally I was only expecting to see maybe ten women show up to class today, but when over thirty showed up I was thrilled. I realized that these women really want to learn and that they appreciate our help. We talked about what HIV is and how it progresses to AIDS. We discussed the symptoms, transmission, and prevention. We also went over some general symptoms of other STI’s that they should see a doctor for. It was such a great thing to be able to share with them. They asked lots of questions and we really involved. It was awesome because we knew they were paying attention and were interested in what we were teaching. Some of the questions were kind of hard to hear because it really showed how lacking their education had been growing up. I cannot wait to go back next week and get to share more with them. We actually went about 30 minutes over class time because there were so many questions! At the end all the women clapped and shook our hands. It was really moving how much they appreciated what we taught. I hope that the information we shared may help protect some of them and help them protect their children.
When I got home there was a little puppy here. Although he does not compare to the rest of the day he didn’t hurt either. He is a rescue puppy that our team leader got and he is so freaking adorable. I was holding him and he fell asleep in my arms. It really made me miss my puppy back home though.
I am loving it here more and more every day. However I want my little sister Alexis to know that I miss her a little extra today and cannot wait to come home and see her. I know things are a little hard right now for her but she should know how important she is to me! <3

1 comment:

  1. Ashley - thanks for always being the best big sister Alexis could ever need or want! You two are the best daughters I could ever dream of having!
    Smiling and happy because of both of you!
    <3

    ReplyDelete